Saturday, May 12, 2012

SHREDDED BEEF TERIYAKI OVER STEAMED SILKEN TOFU RECIPE


The family ate last Sunday at  Nasi Lemak ,  a restaurant specializing in Singaporean dishes.  Goodness,  we loved their Sizzling Tofu with Minced pork in sweet Soy sauce! It was a familiar dish, one that can also be found in Japanese restaurants with a different take on the spices used though.

As always , whenever the "piggery" raves over a particular dish, I immediately try that food and attempt to guess what ingredients went into it.  I take my time figuring out which flavor stands out,  the texture of tofu, what the over-all look should be, etc and I also make it a point to ask the "piggery" why they think its delicious and what part of the dish made it their favorite.

When the mood hits me and I crave to create a new dish , I dig into my memory of food orders that were selected by the family and which they really liked, and I recreate  the dish for them with  some twists here and there so that it becomes my "own" dish.

Today I was inspired by 2 packs of Australian shredded beef I bought from the grocery. What if instead of ground pork , I use shredded beef to recreate the Nasi Lemak dish? Hmm...so here's what I did :)

Ingredients

garlic
ginger
onion
500 grams shredded beef or sukiyaki beef strips is also ok
silken tofu ( steamed or can be served cold, depending on your preference )

For Teriyaki sauce - I make mine from scratch but if the ingredients are not available in your country, you can buy the bottled teriyaki sauce from the supermarket  


2      Soy sauce 500 ml
1 Sake 250 ml
1 Mirin         250 ml
2 Sugar 250 g
1 Dashi Konbu 5 x 5 cm
Katsuo bushi 10 g
  1. Keep in the ref  when not in use. Can last up to a month
  1. If you will use again after ref, boil one time. Can add new batch to old
  1. Katuso bushi is dried fish sliced so thinly its almost feather-like in texture.
  1. Dashi Konbu - is dried hard green leaves also use to make Miso soup. Dashi can also be bought in powder form
Note :
        1. boil  sake, mirin and Dashi Konbu together
        2.    After boiling add soy sauce and sugar
        3.    Boil again. 
        4    After boiling add katsuo bushi in a strainer for 1 minute only.
        5.  Take away the katsuo bushi. Simmer for 20-30 minutes reduce by 20%

METHOD :

1. Saute garlic, onion and ginger til onion is transluscent.
2. Add beef and sauté till beef changes color.
3. Pour in the teriyaki sauce and simmer for 15 minutes till beef is cooked and tender.
4. Optional : Add 2 lightly beaten eggs. Do not stir. Cover the dish for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and set aside.

5. Silken Tofu -  steam the tofu just to heat it up
    5.1 Transfer the rectangular tofu in a plate.
    5.2 Top the tofu with the shredded beef mixture. Garnish with spring onion and red chili       pepper ( optional). Serve while hot














4 comments:

  1. I love your recipe for shredded beef teriyaki...you did fantastic job! Thank you for sharing and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sandra M. and have a lovely weekend too <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tofu is a good source of protein. I had tried sizzling tofu steak in 2 Japanese restaurants and they are great. Thanks for this recipe! I had also began to love tofu. I tried the tofu burger, tofu in sukiyaki!

    ReplyDelete