SHREDDED BEEF TERIYAKI OVER STEAMED SILKEN TOFU RECIPE
The family ate last Sunday at Nasi Lemak , a restaurant specializing in Singaporean dishes. Goodness, we loved their Sizzling Tofu with Minced pork in sweet Soy sauce! It was a familiar dish, one that can also be found in Japanese restaurants with a different take on the spices used though.
As always , whenever the "piggery" raves over a particular dish, I immediately try that food and attempt to guess what ingredients went into it. I take my time figuring out which flavor stands out, the texture of tofu, what the over-all look should be, etc and I also make it a point to ask the "piggery" why they think its delicious and what part of the dish made it their favorite.
When the mood hits me and I crave to create a new dish , I dig into my memory of food orders that were selected by the family and which they really liked, and I recreate the dish for them with some twists here and there so that it becomes my "own" dish.
Today I was inspired by 2 packs of Australian shredded beef I bought from the grocery. What if instead of ground pork , I use shredded beef to recreate the Nasi Lemak dish? Hmm...so here's what I did :)
500 grams shredded beef or sukiyaki beef strips is also ok
silken tofu ( steamed or can be served cold, depending on your preference )
For Teriyaki sauce - I make mine from scratch but if the ingredients are not available in your country, you can buy the bottled teriyaki sauce from the supermarket
2 Soy sauce 500 ml
1 Sake 250 ml
1 Mirin 250 ml
2 Sugar 250 g
1 Dashi Konbu 5 x 5 cm
Katsuo bushi 10 g
- Keep in the ref when not in use. Can last up to a month
- If you will use again after ref, boil one time. Can add new batch to old
- Katuso bushi is dried fish sliced so thinly its almost feather-like in texture.
- Dashi Konbu - is dried hard green leaves also use to make Miso soup. Dashi can also be bought in powder form
1. boil sake, mirin and Dashi Konbu together
2. After boiling add soy sauce and sugar
3. Boil again.
4 After boiling add katsuo bushi in a strainer for 1 minute only.
5. Take away the katsuo bushi. Simmer for 20-30 minutes reduce by 20%
1. Saute garlic, onion and ginger til onion is transluscent.
2. Add beef and sauté till beef changes color.
3. Pour in the teriyaki sauce and simmer for 15 minutes till beef is cooked and tender.
4. Optional : Add 2 lightly beaten eggs. Do not stir. Cover the dish for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and set aside.
5. Silken Tofu - steam the tofu just to heat it up
5.1 Transfer the rectangular tofu in a plate.
5.2 Top the tofu with the shredded beef mixture. Garnish with spring onion and red chili pepper ( optional). Serve while hot