Monday, June 11, 2012



French Macaron Recipe


It started with our "piggery's" craving.  They discovered Bizu's French Macarons and can not get enough of them. After we got introduced to these yummy pastries, my husband and I got hooked as well.


The more our piggery kept eating them , the more obsessed I was in finding out how to make them. I attended a module at Heny Sison's just to learn how to bake them.  But we were told we would need a convection oven to recreate them at home if we want to come up with macarons with "feet". 


I went ahead  though and baked macarons in my electric oven. I tried so many times, I lost count. All of my attempts were epic fails -- no feet. I was getting tired seeing the same results , I almost gave up. Then one day, I stumbled upon a  recipe  in you tube and tried one more time. Imagine my joy, when I saw "feet" at last....Yay!!!!


Here's the recipe :


Ingredients :
1 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1 cup almond powder
1/4 cup sugar
food color
6 tablespoon egg white
parchment paper
cookie sheet
Method :

1. Preheat oven to 350 deg C
2. In a bowl, sift confectioner's sugar and almond powder together. Set aside. This is your dry ingredient.
3. In a mixing bowl  , whisk the egg whites till foamy. Add a pinch of salt and mix till egg whites are white. Add granulated sugar gradually . Mix at high speed till stiff peaks form. Add desired food color ( gel paste pls) and mix again till color is uniform.
4. Fold in the dry ingredient to  colored egg white batter. Fold till everything is incorporated.
5. Put a non-stick parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
6. Fit a pastry bag with  a round tip and pipe the batter into 1 inch disc in the parchment paper. Be sure to have a1 1/2 inch distance between each disc.
7. Let stand at room temperature till tops of the batter are dry.
8. Bake for 10 -15 minutes with door of the oven ajar.


Note :


1.  You really need to know your oven in order to come up with macarons with feet. So do not be disheartened if at first you don't succeed. It would help if you have an oven thermometer inside your oven too.
2. I used electric oven and midway I had to rotate my pan.
3.It would also help to record your steps per attempt so you know at which step you failed. In my case, I had issues with sifting the dry ingredients, texture of the egg white, piping correctly etc before it all came together for me.
4. It took a whole lot of egg whites I tell you before the much awaited "feet" came out. But when it did, all my frustrations, angst and negative energy flew out the window. It is worth it to make macarons with feet.





No comments:

Post a Comment