For a change from my usual chocolate posts, I thought I'd bake a mango cake today.
Inspired by my pretty niece Reg Dominguez whom I fondly call "Twiciapot" and who previously baked a delicious Japanese Strawberry Shortcake ( see www.facebook.com/foodfiend under the album Delish Dish from Family and Friends ), I searched the internet for a good recipe for the cake...and found this delightful blog " La Fuji Mama" and her recipe for Japanese Strawberry Shortcake.
Since fresh mangoes were in season, I opted to use them instead of strawberries :))
Ingredients for the cake :
4 large eggs- separate white from yolk
4.2 oz (120 grams) granulated sugar sifted once
3 tablespoons milk at room temp
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4.2 oz ( 14 Tablespoon) cake flour sifted 3x
1.2 oz ( 22 grams, 2.3 Tablespoon ) melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F
2. Use and 8" pan
3. Add sugar to egg whites. Beat until stiff and glossy
4.Add egg yolks to the egg white mixture. Whisk till incorporated
5.Add milk, vanilla, flour ( in this order) to the batter and GENTLY fold them into the batter with a spatula.
6. Fold in melted butter til combined.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan. Drop the pan against
the counter 2 -3x to remove air bubbles.
8. Bake cake for 25-30 minutes till golden brown and cake
springs back when pressed lightly.
Ingredients for Stabilized Whip Cream
1 tsp unflavored gelatin
4 tsp cold water
1 cup cold heavy whip cream
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
A.1. Put cold water in a small sauce pan.
2. Sprinkle gelatin and let stand for 5 minutes.
3. Place sauce pan with gelatin mixture in low heat stirring constantly with a wooden spoon till all gelatin dissolves.
4.Remove from heat and set aside
B.1 In a mixing bowl, combine whip cream, sugar and vanilla and beat till slightly thickened.
2.While beating , slowly, gradually pour the gelatin
into the whip cream mixture.
3. Whip at high speed till stiff.
Ingredients for Simple Syrup
1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup sugar
In a saucepan, combine sugar and water.
Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
Remove from heat and cool.
1.Slice the cake into 2 layers.
2. Place sponge layer cut-side up and lightly
brush the surface with the simple syrup.
3. Spread a thin layer of whip cream and
arrange a layer of mangoes over the surface.
4. Spread an additional layer of whip cream
5. Do some rose swirls and decorate
with mango dot cut outs and voila !